A church-sponsored butt kicking?

He loves you with the love of the Lord.There’s this church somewhere that had their children’s ministry trailer stolen. This isn’t the first case of a church having a mobile storage unit pilfered, but the way Revolution Church’s pastor is dealing with it is quite interesting disgusting. Here’s what he said at his blog:

First let me say, God loves you. Second let me say we forgive you. We really don’t want to forgive you, but God says we should so we do. Third of all I want you to know that I think you are scum bags. I think you are lowlife degenerates who need a good butt kicking. Matter of fact I feel so strongly about the fact that you need a good butt kicking that I am volunteering to do it. I hope you believe in God because you should get on your knees and cry out to Him like never before because if we find you, I can promise we will kick the crap out of you. It won’t be pretty, it won’t be over quickly, and it will be very painful. I know that doesn’t sound very nice but I feel pretty strongly that is what you need.

I am curious what kind of lowlife you must be? Trust me, I have been around some pretty low ones before but never one that would be so low as to steal from a church. I understand you probably need some crack or something like that but stealing from a church would scare me. It would scare me more once I realized which church I stole it from. We are probably the only church you have ever heard of that will honestly break your legs once you are found.

Let me say again that we DO forgive you. But there are still consequences for your sin and your consequence will be toting a butt kicking. It is obvious you aren’t very smart so let me give you some advice. Get that trailer out of the county QUICK. As soon as I hit publish on this blog post a church of about 1000 crazy people will know that our black, children’s trailer has been stolen and I can promise they will be on the lookout for it. You would much rather me find you then one of them. :)

I suppose slapping the emoticon on the end is supposed lighten up what he’s saying?

I thought I had a pretty good sense of humor, but I can’t tell if this guy is serious or not. Either way, this post is a bad idea. It’s not funny – it’s creepy. It’s not loving. It’s not Christ-like. It’s not right.

He has already posted an “explanation.” He says he’s not angry, but he would like to punch the guy in the mouth. Right. He doesn’t sound angry. I sometimes punch people I’m not mad at too, just to make a point.

In moments like these, I just want to pack in the whole organized Christianity thing. It’s failed. We’ve failed. People aren’t being transformed. We act just like everybody else. Even the “leaders*” fail to act like the One they preach about. It makes me want to kick some butts.

But I’m not angry. 🙂

Here’s hoping I read an inspirational story of inspiration about some church saving the lives of thousands of children today.

What do YOU think?

(h/t: Church Marketing Sucks)

*For the record, I don’t think that ALL leaders fail to act like Jesus, nor do I think Revolution Church’s pastor is representative of the whole of organized Christian leadership.

1. July 9, 2008 at 8:36 am — Reply

I can relate to this. One time in college I was sitting in the laundromat reading and waiting for my clothes to dry. Another student came in and asked to borrow my detergent, then proceeded to quickly run out of the room with a $5 bottle of tide, never to return.

Later that night, my roommates and I were all discussing what kind of low-life idiot would steal detergent. We read Matthew 5:40 and learned a lesson I will never forget:

“If someone steals your detergent, offer them your fabric softener also.”

2. July 9, 2008 at 9:35 am — Reply

I don’t have a problem with him being angry and wanting to punch him. That’s a pretty natural reaction. What is odd is the mixture with the idea of forgiveness. It’s as if you can say, “I forgive you”, then do whatever you’d like. If he had written honestly about his anger and violent fantasies as part of the process of working towards forgivness, I think that would be great. But, to try and claim his angry reaction as righteous consequence post-forgiveness is a joke and distortion of the concept.

Speaking of angry Christians, I ran across this video on youtube last week. How’s this for distortion of the Christian message?

3. Carl Cravens
    July 9, 2008 at 10:35 am — Reply

Wow. I agree with Chris here… this mixture of “forgiveness” and letting his emotions and desire to do violence _run free_, and _encouraging_ his congregation to violence is just messed up.

When I was with a small church, much smaller than his 1000, we had our only trailer stolen… not children’s ministry supplies, but our entire sound system, drum kit, and everything. We didn’t react in this way. “We” reacted by deciding that this was God’s way of blessing us at the expense of the insurance company. Doing things like claiming several hundred dollars worth of drums that had belonged to an individual (not the church), buying new drums with the insurance money, and then refusing to give those drums to the individual that had owned the stolen ones, because insurance only paid for what belonged to the church. So God blessed the church by way of insurance fraud and “theft” from a member of the congregation.

I say “we”… but this was one of the little events that caused me to leave that church and really soured me on “church” and “church people” for a couple of years.

4. erin
    July 9, 2008 at 10:40 am — Reply

I think it’s a shame that he is so angry. All that stuff being stolen would be terrible and cost a lot of money to replace, but that boy is angry. Too angry. And not at all funny, either. I also pray that the Spirit will help those 800 people who come and listen to his sermons every week to hear only the God-inspired truth that is flowing thru him, and not the angry and hate-filled language that is coming out on his blog.

5. July 9, 2008 at 10:53 am — Reply

I had sort of the same reaction when I read Gary’s post. But if you’ve been following him for any amount of time I think you’ll find that most of his words are motivated by a shock factor. He likes to shock people. I don’t agree with that…I think you can engage people without shocking them just to shock them. I’m all for cool stuff if it has a point, but just doing something for shock value ultimately ends up leaving people feeling empty.

Either way I chalk it up to bad leadership. You can’t just say whatever you want because you have a blog. Especially when you’re a lead pastor. It’s nothing personal, and it’s not fair, but that’s how it is. I’m in church leadership and I censor myself all of the time. We are held to a higher standard.

6. July 9, 2008 at 11:05 am — Reply

Sounds to me like they have a child running the Children’s Ministry.

7. kristin
    July 9, 2008 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Wow. Hmmm…really? Get over it. Sheesh.

He doesn’t give grace and thats a much bigger problem for him.

8. kristin
    July 9, 2008 at 12:09 pm — Reply

…than a butt-kicking would be for whoever stole the trailer.

*Sorry. Hit ‘Submit’ too soon.

9. July 9, 2008 at 5:10 pm — Reply

Christianity’s Scoreboard…

Butt-kicking preacher: -1 point

This preacher: +2 points

10. Sam's Dad
    July 9, 2008 at 6:04 pm — Reply

What would his response sound like if he DIDN’T forgive the guy?

11. July 11, 2008 at 8:31 am — Reply

Amen to that John! This is the response I think is best.