Back in the groove

Friends, I have returned from Phoenix, Arizona. I was there, celebrating the marriage of my ol’ college chum and Theatron pal Sam Peters to Brooklynne Travis-Peters. (I can neither confirm nor deny the possibility of Brooklynne using a hyphen.) It was a beautiful ceremony, but it was outdoors, in Phoenix, in June, in a tux. So…I got hot.

But my heat-suffering wasn’t the low-point of my trip – it was my airline “adventures” that stole the show. On my way out there, I missed my connection in Denver due to weather. I arrived in Phoenix at 10:30 instead of 6:15. Which in CST is 12:30 a.m. Needless to say, I was a sleepy fellow.

On the return flights, we hit some nasty, nasty turbulence on our way into Denver. It wasn’t terrifying, but it wasn’t fun either. Unfortunately, on our way into Wichita, I experienced terror such as I have never felt before. I’m not afraid of flying – mostly because I’ve never had reason to be. I don’t mind turbulence too terribly much. But I do mind my plane turning on its side and doing a significant dip, while picking up speed, going through an electrical storm.

I sincerely thought that I was done for. I think the two pilots to my right (they were out of uniform, and only later did I discover they were pilots when they said, “That was the worst I’ve ever experienced”) thought we were done for. All the women (and probably men) who screamed thought we were done for.

It. Was. Terrifying.

But, I am alive and well.

As is my wonderful wife, Hayley. And today marks the 25th year of her being alive and well. Since she no longer maintains a blog of her own, leave your comments here, wishing her well and providing words of encouragement for arriving at her mid-20s – I’m not sure she’s handling it well.

Happy Monday.

1. Tim D.
    June 9, 2008 at 10:47 am — Reply

Happy Birthday, HFC!

It was good seeing you this weekend, buddy.

2. Sam's Dad
    June 9, 2008 at 11:49 am — Reply

It was great seeing you. Wish we could have visited more. One of the things I’ve prayed for my children was for God’s grace in providing good friends, as well as God’s guidance in choosing them. I thank God for His grace in providing you Theatron guys for him. You’ve been wonderful friends for him. Along the way, I became your friend, as well. Thanks for coming to support Sam this past weekend. It meant a lot to him and to us. We’ll send you some pix as soon as we can. Tell Hayley Happy B-day!

3. June 9, 2008 at 12:59 pm — Reply

That sounds freaky.

Flying into Denver’s always bad, but so far nothing like that. Yikes.

4. Brad
    June 9, 2008 at 6:16 pm — Reply

Sounds like you’ve got a killer story for sermons and devos the rest of your life. Glad you’re back home brotha’.

5. June 10, 2008 at 5:50 pm — Reply

Todd – Having traveled to Arizona several times before I can honestly say that state seems to be the closest to hell on Earth that one can get – literally. It is so hot I don’t know how people and animals even function. At any rate I am glad your wedding went well and that despite the attempt by air crews to provide a near-death experience, you are home safe and sound. Hey, maybe some people came to know Christ on that flight. Look at the bright side! LOL.

6. erin
    June 12, 2008 at 2:00 pm — Reply

Happy birthday, Hayley! And hooray to the lower car insurance rates!