Is this true?

The majority of churches choose not to change. They would rather die. Tragically, in most churches, the pain of change is greater than the pain of ineffectiveness.” – Thom S. Rainer and Eric Geiger, authors of “Simple Church

Overstatement or frightening, frustrating reality?

I know what I think. I assume most of you know what I think.

But what do you think?

1. April 22, 2008 at 9:30 am — Reply

totally true. a lot of people in moving and growing churches have know idea what the norm is. fact is, more than 80 percent of evangelical churches have less than 100 people attending.

I have been a part of the death of churches via our denomination. and i have seen the death as a good thing. they are old churches with old people that have no interest in being relevant to the community. it’s great when the denomination comes in and shuts the doors, sells the property and uses the money to plant new churches.

2. April 22, 2008 at 11:38 am — Reply

They choose not to change, that’s for sure. I’m not sure the people in those churches understand that by choosing not to change, they are choosing to die.

3. April 22, 2008 at 11:43 am — Reply

So how can that be communicated without one coming across as a nasty change-agent who simply desires change because he’s young and naive?

I’m asking for a friend…

4. Brad
    April 22, 2008 at 7:44 pm — Reply

I think it’s ok for a congregation to die. The body of Christ never will, but over time congregations do. It’s not a tragedy, it’s just what happens for any number of reasons. If a church doesn’t want to change or knows it can’t change without self destructing perhaps the best thing they can do is either focus their energy on a positive ministry that will bear fruit in God’s kingdom or put their resources into supporting a mission (local or distant) congregation that can carry the torch into the future.

Of course, I’ve never been a part of a dying church (not a truly desperataly dying church), so I speak only from theory not experience.

5. April 22, 2008 at 11:39 pm — Reply

Great post as always.
    I love reading your blog it is always so inspiring and uplifting brother.
    Keep it up!
    I hope you had a great earth day! 🙂

6. Andrea Anglin
    April 23, 2008 at 12:23 pm — Reply

It’s sad when churches die, but if they are ineffective (which I take to mean, not growing) then it is inevitable. Why wouldn’t a church want to use outreach? Why wouldn’t they look to reach the unchurched? Change happens. Change a natural part of life and the congregation should get behind a message of reaching unbelievers – even if it means changing things. If they have a problem with it they will leave and then it will open up spots for those not satisfied with the status quo.