Top Five Christmas Movies

Now, for the blog post you’ve all been eagerly awaiting: the authoritative list of my top five Christmas movies!

Christmas Vacation5. Christmas Vacation—Though I’ve seen this movie a dozen-plus times, it still makes me giggle. Cousin Eddie is one of the funniest characters ever penned, and Clark’s no-bonus blowup is absolutely golden. This is definitely a good background movie while you’re (or your wife is) setting up your Christmas decorations.

Wonderful Life4. It’s a Wonderful Life—I saw this movie for the first time last Christmas (unbelievable, I know). Though it gets a bit slow in parts, the payoff at the end is absolutely worth it. Stewart is brilliant, the little girl (everytime a bell rings…) isn’t. They should really consider showing Stewart’s performance more than hers when they talk about this movie. If you’re one of the few humans alive who haven’t seen this movie, do it.

Elf3. Elf—Classic Will Ferrell. If you like that, you’ll like this movie. If not, you’ll probably still find something to enjoy. The story is funny, heartwarming and appropriately cheesy. It’s a perfect movie for the whole family to watch together.

Love Actually2. Love Actually—Not only is this on my top Christmas movies list, it ranks in my “top movies of all time list.” If you don’t get the warm fuzzies from Liam Neeson and his son or Colin Firth and his love interest, it may very well be possible that you aren’t a human. Unfortunately, this movie isn’t perfect for the whole family to watch together—there is some unnecessary nudity. Fortunately, even that story ends up being cute.

Christmas Story1. Christmas Story—When you were growing up, did you have a movie that you loved, but you didn’t know anybody else who had even seen it? Princess Bride was one such movie—until I got to Harding, I didn’t know how many people worshiped it. Christmas Story is another such film. I absolutely loved it growing up, but I didn’t know it had mass appeal until TNT started running day-long marathons. The reason this flick is at the top of my list is because when I watch it, I still feel the same as when I was a wee child, exhausted after a morning of present-opening and new-toy-playing, laying on the floor, watching Ralphie and his quest for the official Red Ryder carbine-action 200 shot range model air rifle—and that’s a good feeling.

So, that’s my list. What did I leave out? What did I screw up? What’s yours?

P.S. If you have been trying to visit or leave a comment and have been blocked by Bad Behavior (error 403) I have remedied the situation. Cheers.

1. Brooklynne
    December 10, 2007 at 4:02 pm — Reply

Judging by this list, I think I now understand why Sam likes you so much.

2. Brad
    December 10, 2007 at 9:44 pm — Reply

If a Christmas movie can be defined not as being directly about Christmas but as set during the Christmas season then I would submit for your consideration Die Hard. Best action movie ever.

Also The Ref fits that category, which is a very funny disfunctional family comedy where a criminal holding them hostage doubles as their marraige therapist at the family Christmas gathering.

My favorite true Christmas movie however is Scrooged. Bill Murray as Scrooge in the 80s. A great comedic remake of A Christmas Carol.

3. December 10, 2007 at 10:14 pm — Reply

Ah, scrooged. I forgot that one. It might actually slip into fifth place and push Christmas Vacation out of the top five

4. December 11, 2007 at 7:58 am — Reply

White Christmas is an absolute classic & Holiday Inn isn’t too shabby either. Great call on Love Actually, that one is also in my top 5 of all time, not just Christmas. Miracle on 34th street is truly heartwarming (The old one). The new one is pretty good, but there’s just something about the Christmas season that demands the classic feel of older movies. Oh! & what about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? Classic claymation with Burl Ives narrating & singing doesn’t get much better. So many cozy movies. I love Christmas!

5. December 11, 2007 at 10:40 am — Reply

Home Alone. I can’t believe it didn’t make the list. 🙂

6. December 11, 2007 at 10:42 am — Reply

P.S. I, too, love Love Actually.

7. Sam's Dad
    December 12, 2007 at 9:02 am — Reply

Sexiest scene in all moviedom:
    James Stewart and Donna Reed sharing the phone in Wonderful Life. You talk about HOT!

8. kristin
    December 12, 2007 at 1:30 pm — Reply

Judgng from your and Sam’s blogs I guess I need to see Love Actually….

9. Ryan
    December 15, 2007 at 11:13 am — Reply

Nice list. I am going to have to move Christmas Vacation to the top of the pile and give the boot to It’s Wonderful Life…it’s not really even about Christmas. Christmas Story solid #2. Look forward to seeing you and Hayley soon, what are you plans for Christmas? In Wichita?

10. baxter
    December 16, 2007 at 4:22 pm — Reply

If you liked “Love Actually”, you might also enjoy “About A Boy” also with Hugh Grant and also has a Christmas scene. It’s a sweet story.

11. baxter
    December 16, 2007 at 7:52 pm — Reply

Oh, and one more, if you don’t mind my input…”Meet Me in St. Louis”. That was the debut for the song “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” sung by Judy Garland, a real classic!

12. December 19, 2007 at 8:38 am — Reply

I haven’t seen “Meet Me in St. Louis,” but I do love Garland’s version of that song. It’s so much better than the hang-a-shining-star-on-the-highest bough-version.