Monday Musings on Tuesday

• I have finally decided who will receive the coveted Todd Blog Presidential Endorsement: Congressman Ron Paul. Paul’s libertarian stances on taxation, the war and personal liberties match up quite well with my own. While I struggle with Paul’s statement that we caused 9/11 (which, I believe, was taken out of context), I believe that he is straightest-shooting politician on the Republican side. For those who plan on supporting Mike Huckabee, please know that he is not a true conservative candidate. While he is certainly socially conservative, his fiscal view and record are anything but. Don’t let Chuck Norris sway you.
  • I’m tired of singing songs that I don’t really understand or mean. For example, we sang “Heaven Came Down” on Sunday at my church. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice, fine song. But I don’t really know what I’m talking about. What does “glory filled my soul” mean? Also, what is “There’s a Stirring” about? When I die? When I come to know Jesus? And finally, does Jesus really “still feel the nails” every time I fail?
  • I heard a commercial for an upcoming Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson concert in Wichita. The announcer said, “Reba and Kelly Clarkson, on stage together, at last” as if people were waiting and asking for this duo. I just thought that was funny.
  • I can’t stand the “Christmas Shoes” song. Apparently, by 8:50 a.m. this morning, this dreadful song had been requested three times! Oh Wichitans, you disappoint me. That said, here, without further ado, is the Christmas Shoes music video:
    [youtube:http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNsvE33pRSw]
  • I’ve talked about Cute Overload before, but if you haven’t visited, you simply must. If you use an RSS reader, you should add it to your feeds. Getting a daily overload of cuteness makes everyone a little more cheerful.

So, what’s going on in your world this Tuesday?

1. kristin
    December 4, 2007 at 12:02 pm — Reply

no, he cant still feel the nails. i strongly dislike that song as well as the “like a rose” song by whatshisface. talk about affected. good post 😉 im going to get my daily dose of cuteness.

2. December 4, 2007 at 12:44 pm — Reply

I’m not a conservative, and I’m not going to vote for Ron Paul. All that being said though, I personally think Ron Paul is awesome. He’s extremely consistent, as well as articulate and well-reasoned. I think his ideas are valid, I just don’t agree with enough of them to vote for him.

3. December 4, 2007 at 12:47 pm — Reply

May I ask who gets you, as a non-conservative, excited?

4. December 4, 2007 at 12:50 pm — Reply

I also owe you an apology. I had you pegged as a neo-con, and if you’re voting for Ron Paul then I was wrong. Not that it’s bad if you’re a neo-con, it’s just the political position I understand the least. I am, however, always open to hearing a good explanation of why someone would be a neo-con.

5. December 4, 2007 at 12:51 pm — Reply

Wow. A neo-con? Why’s that?

6. December 4, 2007 at 1:03 pm — Reply

Ron Paul baby! it’s a revolution!

Neo-Con (neo-conservative) = big government ‘conservatives’

7. kristin
    December 4, 2007 at 1:29 pm — Reply

i like ron p but i think people have a point when they say he is a little impractical (if only because the system he faces is such a monster by now). im still voting for him.

8. baxter
    December 4, 2007 at 2:38 pm — Reply

I think the same thing about songs that don’t make any sense to me. So if it isn’t something I can sing with understanding and agreement, I don’t. I think there is a principle there when Paul said, “I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.” in 1 Cor. 14. It’s good to understand why you are doing something or singing something. Kudos!

“Christmas Shoes” makes me ache for a family who lost their wife and mother on November 10th 2006. http://cindyowen.blogspot.com/ I can’t hear it without crying. This is their second Christmas without their beloved Cindy. I wonder how they are doing? Kevin is a preacher for a Church of Christ in Albuquerque, NM. They have three little boys. Maybe when ever you hear that song, you can pray for them, then it won’t seem so endless. 🙂

I am a fan of “American Idol”. I know, it’s pathetic! 🙂 When Kelly Clarkston won, she got to sing on stage with Reba. She was beside herself and couldn’t believe she was “singing on stage with Reba McIntyre” (sp?) So I guess it’s another dream come true for Kelly. As for the “at last”, since she has been on stage with her once all ready, maybe it is “at last”, now that she’s a professional.

9. December 4, 2007 at 3:02 pm — Reply

I just assumed, without reason.

Barack Obama is the candidate who gets me most excited. But what would make me the most excited would be if Obama got the nomination and choose a respected economist as his running mate. I believe that if we spent more responsibly, cut government jobs that aren’t needed, and pulled out of Iraq as soon as we responsibly could we could not only save money, but we could finance things in a better manner. I believe we could spend less money than we do now on healthcare, but still provide universal healthcare. It’s all about how the money is spent. It may be a big pipe dream, but that’s what would get me excited: a social liberal who runs with an economic conservative.

10. kristin
    December 4, 2007 at 3:31 pm — Reply

i agree with steven i think. the natl debt is going to sneak up and bite us…HARD…sooner than later, im afraid. we could CERTAINLY spend less money than we do on healthcare now and probably become more healthy while we’re at it!

11. Brad
    December 4, 2007 at 7:51 pm — Reply

Todd, I think Paul is perfect for a self proclaimed idealist like you. I like to listen to him and respect him. I agree with many of his positions as well. But I on the other hand (with damage control as my #1 issue) am trying to figure out who is most electable from the GOP. And I can’t put my finger on it. Many say Gulianni, but while he may get the middle I could see social conservatives sitting out in protest. I think McCain is electable in the general but he won’t get the nomination when there are more straight line conservative choices for the primary. At the end of the day, I’ll be happy with anybody who will be fiscally conservative. I’ve voted democratic in all 3 of my voting age presidential elections. But not this time. Whoever the GOP’s most electable is gets the nod from me. But who is it?

12. December 4, 2007 at 8:25 pm — Reply

Be careful believing everything you hear about candidates. Things can be skewed. I am a resident of Arkansas, and know Mike Huckabee’s record fairly well. The tax increases everyone talks about are taxes to improve our roads, which were in very bad shape due to many years of neglect from the Clinton administration. These tax increases were all approved by a direct vote of the people in our state, not our legislature. The Huckster has been fiscally conservative otherwise, and our budget is balanced every year (our constitution requires it). So, Todd, you might want to reconsider if Huck satisfies you otherwise.
    Let me add that, in my opinion, the two most important considerations are: 1) will this man or woman appoint people to our judicial system whose philosophy agrees with mine?, 2) will this man or woman share my philosophy regarding defending our country and maintaining the U.S. role in the world?

13. December 4, 2007 at 10:48 pm — Reply

Todd, I personally feel a lot of power behind these words: “Like a child…”
    😉

14. kristin
    December 5, 2007 at 9:46 am — Reply

ha ha HA….Megan (I am assuming used-to-be-B.)…I almost referenced your “Like a child…” when I was saying how much I dont like that song…but didnt. Of course you know Sam told me how funny he thought that was right after that same chapel let out. I didnt hear it but you know I have never forgotten either! 🙂 Funny.

15. December 5, 2007 at 9:53 am — Reply

Sam’s Dad,
    It is likely that I’m not as familiar with Huckabee as you, but I have run across some fairly disturbing material recently. This is a good article that raises some questions. Additionally, didn’t Huckabee support the SCHIP bill?

Also, concerning your first consideration, I would rather have a president who diminished the power of the supreme court and gave more back to the states. But, as Brad said, I’m an idealist. So, practical Todd agrees 100% with you—he just doesn’t have as loud a voice this early in the election cycle.

Megan,
    You have forever ruined the spiritual impact (not that that’s all bad) of that song for me.

16. kristin
    December 5, 2007 at 2:38 pm — Reply

Thats a link to Mike Cope’s blog. You may be interested in the post (most recent as of today) titled, “Our National Debt” and all of the comments to follow…ALL of them.
    My head is spinning a bit but I think I learned something ha ha.